Biography of Father Franciszek Trocki

Born March 7, 1889, in Yanushpol, outside Berdychiv on the Volyn. Graduated from gymnasium and then from Zhytomyr Seminary and was ordained in 1912. From 1912 he served as vicar of the parish in Proskurov [Khmelnytskyi]; from 1916 he was administrator of the parish in Yarmolintsy; from 1918 he also tended the parish in Skazintsy; from 1921 he served in Skazintsy, where he resided, and also in Horodok-Podilskyi and Kupin. In 1927 he was arrested on charges of “anti-Soviet activity on the basis of religious prejudices, anti-Semetic propaganda, insubordination of the Soviet regime, use of religious feelings of the masses for agitation on behalf of the bourgeois Polish state, of which he was a supporter.” During the investigation Fr. Franciszek was charged with “hiding a criminal,” since he had failed to inform the investigator about one of his cellmates, who had admitted to him that he was a Polish spy who had illegally crossed the border. October 17, 1928 – the protocols of the interrogations were allegedly signed by Fr. Franciszek on this day in Proskurov, although according to his autobiography it is apparent that he was already in a Moscow prison by this date. Sentenced under Article 58-10 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR to ten years in corrective labor camp. Sent to Solovetsky Special Purpose Camp, where he arrived April 18. From April through June 1929 he worked felling wood on Miag Island; later, on the main island he dug up rocks. In June 1929 he was transferred to Anzer Island where he worked in wood stocking and where he was arrested July 5, 1932, in a case against Catholic clergy who were charged with “creation of an anti-Soviet group that conducted anti-Soviet agitation, clandestinely celebrated Mass and religious rites and maintained an illegal contact with a free worker for purposes of transmitting abroad information of an espionage character about the situation of Catholics in the USSR.” He was held in the inner camp prison and, as he himself confirms, he was sentenced to death. The investigator recommended that he be held separately from all others until the end of his term. In September, after the end of the investigation, he was transported to Moscow and held in Butyrka Prison, and then on September 15 he was released to Poland as part of a prisoner exchange. He lived for a short time in Warsaw and then served as an assistant to the military chaplain in Toruń. The exact date and place of his death are unknown. Sources: GARF, f. 8406, op. 2, d. 4830 and 5647, l. 5; GARF, f. 8409, op. 1, d. 367, l. 126-131; d. 781, l. 151; Dzwonkowski, pp. 486-487; Osipova (1996), p. 204; Madała, p. 158
Variant Names:
Trocki, Franciszek; Trot︠s︡kiĭ, Frant︠s︡ishek (Frantishek) Ivanovich
Yanushpol' (Ukraine); Z︠H︡ytomyr (Ukraine); Proskuriv (Ukraine); Yarmolyntsi (Ukraine); Skazintsy (Ukraine); Solovet︠s︡kiĭ (Russia); Anzerski Island (Russia); Moscow (Russia); Warsaw (Poland); Toruń (Poland)
male; clergy and religious; survived