Biography of Father Franciszek Bujalski

Born October 4, 1891, into a peasant family in Janovka, Staro-Konstantinov district, Volynia province. Graduated from Zhytomyr Theological Seminary and was ordained in 1915 for the Diocese of Lutsk-Zhytomyr. From 1915 he served at St. Anne parish in Derazhne, Podolia; from 1916, at St. Mary of the Angels parish in Vonkovtsy [which had 5,292 parishioners – Dzwonkowski]; from 1918, at St. Alexander parish in Kiev; from 1920, at a parish in Fastiv; at the end of 1920 he became pastor of St. John Nepomucene parish in Skvir, Bila Tserkva deanery, and he also served in the parishes in Bespechne, Shamraevka and Topory. In 1924 he was arrested in Bila Tserkva for “attempting an illegal border crossing”; fined and released. April 12, 1927 – arrested in Skvir, Bila Tserkva region, on charges of “organizing and leading Polish Boy Scout troops, cooperating in border crossings by Polish youth, fostering a religious spirit in children, teaching the basics of the faith, and also of hiding a collection of archeological valuables that were subject to deposit in a State museum.” January 10, 1928 – sentenced under Articles 54-4, -6, -10, -11 and -24 of the Criminal Code of the Ukrainian SSR to ten years in corrective labor camp, with confiscation of property and without possibility of amnesty [OGPU Collegium, UkrSSR]. In April he was sent to Solovetsky Special Purpose Camp. June 1929 – transferred to Anzer Island where, on July 5, 1932, he was arrested in a case against Catholic clergy, charged with “creation of an anti-Soviet group carrying out anti-Soviet agitation, clandestinely conducting theological and religious rites and actualizing an illegal contact with a free person for transmittal abroad of information of an espionage character about the situation of Catholics in the USSR.” The investigators sought to have his file turned over to the Leningrad oblast OGPU for its disposition, as he was considered “one of the leaders who had very boldly and daringly led the group of priests.” July 13 – transported to Leningrad Prison, and then later to the solitary confinement block at Yaroslavl Prison. On September 15, 1932, he left for Poland as part of a prisoner exchange. He then served as chaplain at a hospital in Tworki and prefect of a parish in Prutkova; from 1951, he was rector of the chapel in a psychiatric hospital of Żbików parish, archdiocese of Warsaw. Died in Warsaw in 1958 (exact date of death unknown). Sources: GARF, f. 8406, op. 2, d. 614; Dzwonkowski (1998), pp. 182-184; Madaƚa, p. 30; Nowicki, p. 7; Osipova (1996), p. 155; Parafil’na gazeta (1995), No. 60, p. 8; Sokolovskyi, pp. 25-26
Variant Names:
Bui︠a︡lʹskiĭ, Frantsisk (Frantsishek) Konstantinovich; Bujalski, Franciszek
Z︠H︡ytomyr (Ukraine); Kiev (Ukraine); Saint Petersburg (Russia)
male; clergy and religious; survived